Kai Havertz labelled 'a cheat' by Brentford star as players confront ref in Arsenal tunnel


Furious Brentford players were reportedly involved in explosive scenes in the Emirates Stadium tunnel after falling to a late 2-1 defeat against Arsenal on Saturday evening. Kai Havertz controversially headed home a late winning goal, having been fortunate to escape a red card earlier in the London derby.

Yoane Wissa profited from an Aaron Ramsdale howler to draw Brentford level on the brink of half-time after Declan Rice continued his incredible season by opening the scoring in the 19th minute.

Arsenal looked destined to waste the opportunity to go top of the Premier League ahead of Liverpool vs Manchester City on Sunday before Havertz provided a heroic contribution four minutes from time.

But the 24-year-old was booked in the dying embers of the first half for using his elbow during an aerial challenge and could've easily been given a second yellow in the second half.

Brentford's stars fumed after Havertz later produced what looked like a clear dive under pressure from defender Nathan Collins, a yellow card offence for simulation.

However, referee Rob Jones didn't have a clear view of the incident, and VAR is unable to intervene for yellow cards, meaning he stayed on the pitch before scoring the decisive goal.

According to the Mirror, Brentford's anger boiled over after the full-time whistle, resulting in toxic scenes out of sight of supporters in the tunnel.

Collins was among the visitors' most vocal individuals, reportedly shouting "f**king disgrace" and labelling Havertz a "cheat" in the tunnel.

Jones is said to have been confronted by livid Bees players and took time to speak with those unhappy with the outcome.

However, security staff escorted him and his fellow officials to their dressing rooms as tensions boiled over in north London.

Brentford have played down the incident, and the Football Association has confirmed that no action will be taken because Jones didn't include the events in his report.

"It was kicking off. It never got beyond a lot of shouting and accusations, but they were very unhappy," one eye witness revealed.

Brentford manager Thomas Frank, who has overseen six defeats in eight games, publicly bemoaned Jones' decision to allow Havertz to stay on the pitch after full-time.

He said: "I actually don't think Havertz should be on the pitch when he scored. It was a clear dive. Maybe it is difficult for the ref, but the linesman should have seen it."

It could be a major moment in the title race - moving Arsenal above Liverpool and City - and Brentford's fight for Premier League survival - leaving Frank's side five points ahead of the drop zone.

Adblock test (Why?)